- The word boycott derives from the name of Charles C. Boycott, an English land agent in Ireland that was ostracized for refusing to reduce rent.
A. that was ostracized for refusing B. who was ostracized for refusing C. which was ostracized for refusing D. that had been ostracized for refusing E. who had been ostracized for refusing
- As a result of his method for early music education, Shinichi Suzuki has been known as one of the world’s great violin teachers.
A. has been known as one B. had been known as one C. is seen as one D. is being seen as one E. has been one
- Last night the weather forecaster announced that this is the most rainy season the area has had in the past decade.
A. this is the most rainy season the B. this has been the most rainy season the C. this was the most rainy season the D. this is noted as the most rainy season the E. this is the rainiest season the
- Although Mandy is younger than her sister, Mandy is the tallest of the two.
A. is the tallest of the
B. is the taller of the C. has been the taller of the
D. is the most tall of the E. is the more taller of the
- When Katherine Hepburn’s play came to town, all the tickets had sold out far in advance.
A. had sold out far
B. have sold out far
C. were sold out far
D. had been sold out far E. had been sold out for
- The origins of most sports is unknown.
A. sports is unknown
B. sports have been unknown
C. sports are unknown D. sports has been unknown
E. sports are now unknown
- Neither of the Smith brothers expect to be drafted by a major league team this year.
A. expect to be drafted
B. expects to be drafted C. has expected to be drafted
D. is expecting to be drafted E. was expecting to be drafted
- Has any of the witnesses been sworn in yet?
A. Has any of the
B. Is any of the C. Will any of the
D. Are any of the
E. Have any of the
- The Lusitania sunk on May 7, 1915.
B. did sink
C. was sunk
D. did sank
INTERMEDIATE GRAMMAR Answer Key